title="Eskdaleside cum Ugglebarnby Parish Council in North Yorkshire">

Church, Chapel and Cemetery

In the 13th century worship in the parish took place at the Eskdale Chapel, the ruins of which can still be seen near the railway line adjacent to the River Esk. This Chapel is know to have existed in 1224 and was certainly used as a regular place of worship by the local residents of Eskdaleside from 1394 to 1764.

St John the Evangelist Church was built in 1894 replacing the earlier Georgian chapel constructed in 1765. St John's features include Grade II listed gates and a peaceful churchyard, which has been developed as a haven for plants and wildlife. The church contains a fine carved wood reredos and good stained glass by C E Kempe.

The Briggswath and Sleights Methodist Church situated at Briggswath was built in 1905. In November 2000 the church was flooded by an overflowing blocked culvert and many surrounding properties were badly damaged. The church re-opened for worship in September 2001 after finding a temporary home at Sleights Village Hall.

Prior to the opening of Littlebeck Methodist church the followers of John Wesley held services in their homes. In 1890 the present churchw as opened, with a school room being added in 1904. Most of the interior oak furnishings, including the carving of the Last Supper, are the the work of the 'gnome' woodcarver Thomas Wittaker.

All Saints Church, Ugglebarnby was opened in 1872. Occupying what was once the site of a Norman chapel dating from 1137, the present building incorporates stonework from the original church. It is notable for its nave windows, which include a rare image of Judas Iscariot.

A much later addition to the Parish is English Martyrs, Sleights, a Roman Catholic church built in 1998 near the site of the temporary building, which had been in use since 1950. O f modern design and construction it is well used and serves a congregation drawn from the parish and surrounding villages.

Page last updated: 14 February, 2014